Autumn is here, meaning Q-up the pumpkin infused EVERYTHING!! Can I just say babes, my pumpkin French toast is one of those recipes that is incredibly easy, great to bring kids in on, uses minimal ingredients, and tastes so freakin’ good! My hubby Mike told me, “baby that French toast tastes like a pumpkin donut…how’d you do that!?”
What I love most about this recipe is that it uses basic ingredients most of us always have on hand. I keep the bread for French toast in the freezer and take out the number of slices I need to whip up a quick brekkie. I will preface this by saying that this is not a vegan recipe. This is a special treat I make for my family and it does contain egg. If you’re looking for an egg-free alternative I’ve heard from my BFF that Just Egg is a great egg replacement for French toast.
If you have been following along on Instagram stories then you know for the last many quarantined months I have been doing a Trader Joe’s run weekly because NOBODY does snacks and specialty items like TJ’s!! Well, leave it to them to come out with a seasonal Pumpkin Brioche that I immediately tossed into my cart with French toast potential on my mind.
To make this recipe you do not need to use pumpkin brioche. You can use whatever bread you typically use for French toast. I like brioche because it is thick so it can stand up to being dipped in egg, has a light fluffy open texture and is subtly sweet. This recipe is all about the seasoning, you can still achieve that warm-pumpkin-spiced yumminess that many of us love at this time of year.
Pumpkin French Toast Recipe
- Shallow bowl
- Grill pan, griddle, or wide skillet
- Bread or Serrated knife
INGREDIENTS (will make 2-3 slices)
- 2-3 Pieces Sliced Bread (I use Trader Joe’s Pumpkin Brioche)
- 1 Large Egg
- 1⁄4 C Milk (I use Oat Milk)
- 1-2 tsp Granulated Sugar (Babes this can totally be made WITHOUT sugar)
- 1 TBSP Butter (for pan)
- 2-3 shakes Cinnamon (yep I measured in shakes)
- Dash Nutmeg
- Pumpkin Spice seasoning* Great if you don’t have pumpkin bread or just want more pumpkin-y flavor
- 1⁄4 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 TBSP Powdered Sugar (for dusting)
Now typically I don’t measure each ingredient, but I think I’ve nailed down the appropriate proportions to make PERFECT French toast every time!
- Warm pan on medium/low heat. Not too high.
- GENTLY Cut bread in half, into triangles. I always pre-cut the bread before cooking to avoid soggy middles. Also gives a prettier finish.
- Add egg and milk to bowl.
- Mix until comes together
- Add sugar, 2-3 firm shakes of cinnamon, a dash of nutmeg, 1 shake of pumpkin spice and vanilla.
- Mix well.
- Butter pan, should turn to white foam. If butter browns turn your heat down a bit.
- Gently dip each triangle in egg milk mixture. Try not over soak the bread, just coat the outer surface.
- Grill each side of the pan until golden brown.
- Be sure to grill the cut edge of the bread as well.
Dust with powdered sugar.
Serve with maple syrup, although my family says it’s sweet enough without the syrup and actually prefer eating the French toast with no syrup at all.
If you enjoyed this recipe, check out my Sweet Potato Pancake Recipe.