I don’t know about you but after a long days work I want my dinner to be quick, comforting and nourishing. There’s nothing more hearty and comforting than vegan chili in the cold winter months.
I love to pair my chili with roasted potatoes because, well truthfully, potatoes make me HAPPY! And if you’re looking for ways to transition to a vegan diet, this meal is so satisfying you won’t even miss the meat.
Scrumptious Vegan Chili Recipe
- 8 oz can Pinto Beans
- 8 oz can Black Beans
- 8 oz can White Beans
- 2 x 8 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 Yellow Onion; Chopped
- 4-5 Fresh garlic; Chopped
- 4-5 heaping TBSP Chili Powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. Cumin
- 1 tsp. Onion powder
- 1 tsp. Garlic powder
- Few sprinkles of crushed chili flakes
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Note: You can adjust the above seasoning according to your individual preferences.
- In large pot or dutch oven, heat 2-3 TBSP of olive oil. Add chopped onion and garlic and saute over medium/high heat until onion becomes translucent.
- Reduce heat to medium and add beans (do not drain), tomatoes, and all seasonings. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cook for about 25-30 minutes.
- Serve and garnish with fresh avocados.
Perfectly Roasted Potatoes Recipe
- Small roasting potatoes, I used Yukon Gold (scrub clean, leaving skin on)
- 1 3⁄4 Cup Water
- Salt, pepper: Other seasonings you may like include garlic powder, freshly chopped herbs but I like to keep them simple when eating them with chili
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Pat dry washed potatoes then slice in half.
- On a baking sheet with a rimmed edge, place potatoes cut side down. Leaving space around each potato.
- Pour water around the potatoes. Cover with 2 pieces of foil. Must pinch edges of foil tightly around rim of baking sheet.
- Place baking sheet on the lowest rack in the oven. Bake 30 minutes. To check if ready, poke a knife through the foil. The knife will easily slide into the potatoes when ready. Remove from oven.
- Crank oven up to 500 degrees or the highest setting you have.
- Peel back small corner of foil, drain off water.
- Let cool for a few minutes. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil over the potatoes, coat well.
- Season thoroughly. Rolling and coating. Place potatoes cut side down on pan and back in the oven they go.
- Bake until browning on tops and flat side is a rich crispy golden brown. About 20 minutes.