As a special Valentine’s week treat, my girls May and Xia are making their first guest appearance on TTL sharing our love affair with hair and specifically, our curly hair routines.
In a house full of curly girls, we’ve got a LOT of hair care going on. The beautiful thing about curly hair is no two curly heads are alike and that stands true in our house. What works for me, doesn’t necessarily work for May or Xia and vice versa. In fact, we’ve all had our fair share of trial and error finding our unique perfect hair care combo. Today, we’ll each be walking you through our hair care routine including some of our favorite products.
Our Love Affair with Hair
May’s Curly Hair Care Routine
Curl Type: 2A
I wash my hair every 4-5 days, and I wash with an Oreo sized amount of Briogeo shampoo. I don’t condition every time, if I do it’s just to get the tangles out and I only use about a Cheetoh puff size amount. To style, the first thing I apply is the Noughty taming cream because it’s the hold/gel for my hair. I apply it first so that it’s the base product that will hold the curl for the week. After that I follow with a heavy amount of Camille Rose Coconut Water. My hair type completely rejects products with any kind of oil it. I also dislike any kind of gel that leaves my hair crispy or crunchy in any way so the Camille Rose one is perfect since it’s like a very hydrating lightweight conditioner. My ratio of product is 1:2, for every amount of Noughty I apply, I use two times more of Camille Rose.
After my hair is properly coated I separate my hair into two sections, parting my hair on the side and then splitting down the middle. From there I begin separating the two sections into three on each side. Starting with the front portions, I give each section a good twist in the direction away from my face and work my way back. Then I diffuse until mostly dry, scrunching as I dry so that cream will hold in the way I want. Once dry I do not separate my curls. I pretty much like them clump in what ever way they naturally combine.
Xia’s Curly Hair Care Routine
Curl Type: 3b
Xia’s Curly Hair Products
Cleansing & Conditioning
Once or twice a week I wash my hair. Before washing, I begin with combing it out when it’s wet, while it still has the conditioner from previous washing. I then wash my hair for about 5 minutes. I wash my scalp and rinse my hair until it feels clean. Next, I squeeze out as much water in my hair as I can. Then I turn off the shower water (we’re trying to save the earth here people) put the Briogeo conditioner in my hair and once again comb it out. Usually the second time around I can just use my fingers because it’s not as tangled. Then I rinse the Briogeo conditioner out, almost completely, but leave just a little amount still in my hair. I then squeeze out my hair again. All the product that comes off I put on my scalp.
More Conditioning and Styling
Once I’m done with my shower I use an old t-shirt to dry my hair, because towels are too rough for my hair. I’ll wrap it in the shirt like a turban and do my skincare routine. Once I’m done with skincare, I unravel my hair and it will now be damp. I then apply my products. Now I know this next part is a No-No. But I’ll apply the Deep Sea Repair on the ends of my hair, the Melt into Moisture on my scalp, and the Brioge Don’t despair Repair all over my hair. I don’t rinse them out which I know isn’t good, but my hair looks better when I do this. I then apply the gel in my hair. The last part is putting the Deva One Condition into my hair. Please note that in my whole hair routine I apply the product by scrunching it into my hair, not just slabbing it on.
After the product is in my hair I once again take the t-shirt and scrunch my hair into it until it’s damp again. Then I diffuse my hair on low-heat, but high air settings. I do this until my hair is almost completely dry (like 95%). The drying usually takes about 45 minutes to an hour, depending how much I dried it with the t-shirt, or if I air dried it for a while first. The overall process takes about 1-1/2 to 2 hours. BUT, you’re not done until you take a photo. You need to take a photo to remember how hot you and your hair looked on that day (trust me I always look back on the photos and I’m like DAMN your hair looked good that day).
Tennille’s Curly Hair Routine
Curl Type: 3b
My Scalp Care / Clarifying Products:
CLEANSING & CONDITIONING
I wash my hair every 5-6 days and clarify my hair 1-2 times per month. I don’t use any hair products specifically for silver hair care, instead I focus on products that are moisturizing for my curls.
- When washing, I only cleanse my scalp, I never rub my hair with shampoo. The shampoo running down is enough to cleanse the strands.
- I add conditioner to all of my hair. I allow it to sit in my hair for about 5 minutes, however long it takes me to shower. My hair does not tangle so I am able to go from one step to the next without stopping.
- Immediately following I add my hair treatment. I use a generous amount. Apply from root to tip.
- I loosely twist my hair back and put on a shower cap. Leave for 20-30 minutes. Rinse with cool water. DO NOT RING OUT OR DRY HAIR, LEAVE HAIR DRIPPING WET.
- While hair is dripping wet I apply Noughty Taming Cream sectioning off from back to front.
- I repeat this process using Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Styling Gel
- Part hair on the side, and twist any curl clumps that are not in formation.
- Diffuse underside of hair first, close to scalp but NOT touching hair while tipping head to the side.
- Go left to right, for periods of 5 minutes. I do this for about 30 minutes.
- Tip head upside down. Diffuse near the nape of the neck scalp. Then bring the diffuser to the underside, near forehead for periods of 5 minutes. I do this for about 30 minutes.
- Bring head back up. Turn dryer off. Check curls to see if they need shaping, sometimes they go wonky. If so, I twist individual curls around my finger and clip. Remove the clip after 1 minute, curl should be set.
- Repeat steps 1-4 until about 85% dry.
- Add clips to the front bang area to encourage hair to stand up. Sometimes it will do it on it’s own otherwise I use clips.
- Repeat steps 1-4 until 100% dry
- Gently pick scalp to release curls. Depending on the look I’m going for I may or may not separate curls with gel on my hands for more volume.
- If I need to I will diffuse to dry gel but only for a minute or two.
That’s a wrap on our curly hair routines. May and Xia are the loves of my life and I couldn’t think of a better way to celebrate Valentine’s Day on the blog than with my best friends.❤️