I practice intermittent fasting and most days the first meal of my day (usually around lunch time) is oatmeal. It ain’t fancy, but this hearty superfood rich oatmeal recipe keeps my tummy & gut happy while filling my body with loads of vitamins and minerals to keep me glowing from the inside out…as you all know it’s my THING!!!
Benefits of Eating Oatmeal Daily
- Naturally gluten free grain;
- May reduce cholesterol, great way to start your day caring for your heart;
- Contain prebiotic fiber that promotes healthy gut bacteri; and
- Helps reduce blood sugar and may make you feel full longer.
- Low Calorie, yet filled with loads of nutrients like fiber, protein, magnesium, phosphorus, and calcium;
- Low Carb. All the carbs in chia come from the fiber. Chia expands in your stomach giving it a full feeling. Fiber also feeds the good bacteria in your tummy, like I’m all for that!! AND smooths bowel movements :))
- High in Omega-3 fatty acids.
- Packed with antioxidants which help fight cell damaging free radicals;
- Low calorie and high in fiber; and
- Loaded with essential vitamins, like vitamin C, K, and magnesium.
- High in Vitamin C, 1 cup of these yummy berries contains 54% of your daily allowance which is essential for immune function and iron absorption; and
- Great source of fiber.
- Vitamin C powerhouse, another benefit of this mighty vitamin is helping collagen formation in bones, tissue and blood vessels; and
- High in fiber to keep your gut happy and thriving.
- High in protein – great for those looking for plant based protein sources;
- Contain cholesterol free healthy fatty acids omega 3 & 6; and
- Packed with all 9 essential amino acids (building blocks for protein) making it a great topping for post workouts. Also, wonderful for those who eat plant based diets.
- Rich in omega-3, essential for brain function; and
- Contain biotin which is great for hair & nails.
Pumpkin Seed –
- Contain magnesium, iron, zinc, and copper; and
- Packed with age fighting antioxidants.
Almond Butter –
- Good source of iron, calcium and potassium; and
- Rich in healthy fats that reduce cholesterol levels and decrease the risk of heart disease.
Superfood Rich Oatmeal Recipe
- ½ C Rolled Oat
- 1 TBSP Chia Seeds
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1-2 Pinch Salt
- 1C Water, plus a reserve ¼C
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Hemp Heart Seeds
- Almond Butter
- Shredded Coconut
- Add oats, chia seeds, cinnamon, and salt to a saucepan.
- Add water.
- Turn heat on to medium/high, bring to a boil. Lower heat.
- Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes until oat mixture is soft and creamy.
- Remove from heat. If you’d like to thin your oats a bit add a couple tablespoons of water.
- Top with your favorite fruits and nuts.